Donnerstag, 20. September 2012

Placemats

As you might know I'm currently working on my first quilt. The problem with a project such as this is that it requires the use of several techniques otherwise not needed.
So I searched the internet for tutorials and found many. Almost all of them suggested to make sample pieces to practice the particular technique. 
Well, I don't like to make something without a use but to practice (or decorate for that matter) so I went looking for alternatives. I found a lot of mini-quilts (-> decoration problem) or baby-quilts (-> too much work for something that might not turn out well) until I stumbled upon quilted placemats. They were perfect for my purpose: small enough to avoid too much work, large enough to practice techiques and with a proper use!
Ever since I bought Elizabeth Hartman's book "The Practical Guide to Patchwork" the "Batch of Brownies" pattern had caught my eye. I figured that it would be easy to adopt the size of the blocks to make a placemat (and it was; just keep the seam allowances in mind that you have to add for every cut made).
I had already "Kitchen Stories" by Hoodie in my stack, one of those fabrics bought for the looks without any purpose in mind. I combined it with a curry solid I cannot remember the name of.
So this was the first project I used following techniques:
  • making a quilt sandwich
  • straight-line quilting
  • FMQ (free-motion quilting)
  • binding a quilt (I still have to practice the corners, they did not turn out well)
All in all it was a good project for practice an now we have some new placemats.
Actually I made these a few weeks ago and by now I have quilted my Quilt N°1:
 And now I have to use my placemats for the first time. I'm starving!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

I'd like to hear from you